Monday, February 17, 2014

The Mormon Church and Turkey - How You Can Be Part Of It

Hello, my name is Scott. I am a founder of viktyo.com, a company dedicated to helping people find connections and opportunities to have sustainable travel around the world. This includes jobs, internships, volunteer work, and academic pursuits. Lately, we've been building connections specifically for Turkey. Why Turkey? Because it is a growing economy, it is rich with culture and has proven to be a great destination for many Expats.



The church's history in Turkey actually goes back to the late 1800s and a missionary president operated a mission there until the early to mid-nineteenth century. Missionaries returned to Istanbul after a hiatus of many decades in February 2012 when a group of four Elders was sent to Istanbul. Unfortunately, they had to leave several months later due to visa problems. Those visa problems have now been resolved and the second group of Elders was sent in October 2012. The number of missionaries in Turkey has gradually risen to 12 by October 2013. Six in Istanbul and Six in Ankara. Most recently the local leadership requested that the mission send sister missionaries to Turkey, and perhaps sometime this year something may come of that. Last year there were six convert baptisms in the Istanbul branch. In January of this year, there have been 2 baptisms. They have a goal of 20 for the year and have full faith that they will achieve that goal.


 I've been told that he made his own site to help the church www.mormonum.org/ and even volunteers to translate General Conference every six months while paying his own airfare. What an incredible man of faith and diligence to move the work forward.

So why am I writing this? If you are LDS and looking to go abroad by yourself or with a family, I highly encourage you to do so in Turkey.

If you are even slightly curious about this opportunity to go, I'd encourage you to email me at scottgemmell@viktyo.com and visit www.viktyo.com for listings that you can see for Turkey. Many of these positions are self sustaining, family friendly, and great steps to a future career position.


18 comments:

  1. Bro Im in Istanbul Turkey and I met 2 elders in Taksim square with my twin brother in Turkey and we lost their contact info I would love to hear from them again. My email centur1987@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very proud to be a Mormon and have been all of my life. I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I want to bless all the people in Istanbul, Turkey and pray you will learn more of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Days and you will have the opportunity to listen to the LDS Missionaries. I pray you will join the church. I know someday a great Temple of the Lord will be built in Turkey just like the one in Rome, Italy. Be prayfull in all things and you will receive an answer. Bless the LDS Missionaries that are there to seek you out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way the LDS church have built Temples all over the world. The Temple in Rome, Italy, is nearly finished and will soon be dedicated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I live in Ankara,Turkey and would like to know if here is any one help me to find out Mormon's church in Ankara.
    Waiting to receive from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you still need help? I would be happy to help you, if I can!

      Delete
  5. Christopher, I would like your help :-). I'm in Ankara and I visited the branch indicated on the lds website (it's near where all consulates are) But it was closed on sunday morning. Please let me know if you can help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am visiting Istanbul and would love to come to church. I am staying at the Marriott near the airport. What time and where do you meet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brynn, please send me an email at scottgemmell @ gmail . com

      Delete
  7. Hey Scott, I just got my call as a missionary to serve in turkey. Are Istanbul and Ankara the only places missionaries are serving in the country?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Zachary! Yes, the missionaries are currently only in Istanbul and Ankara. They can go to outskirting cities is there is a request of being taught. Please add me on Facebook, I'll add you to a Facebook group page that is for members in Turkey. Scott Gemmell at BYU.

      Delete
  8. Hi Scott! I'm a returned missionary. I'm living in Dominican republic, where I'm studying in ( Pathway BYU-I Program). I planning to move to Turkey in July or August. I woould like to work and serve the Church there.
    My e-mail: dorvensley.f@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, my parents are baptized members of the Mormon Church. They are moving to Istanbul in November, I would like to have any contact with an elder that can make them feel more welcome. Could you please give me some information? My mail is ange.uygur@gmail.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enter your comment...please I and my brother from Ghana and we are here in Turkey but we don't know how to get in touch with you and the church cos we members before we came here
    so please if you can help us we will be greatful for that thanks you very much

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am engaged to a woman who lives in Ankara, who is Muslim. There is a likelihood that I may end up living in Turkey in the near future. I am LDS and served a mission in South Korea. I understand there are many restrictions placed on the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Turkey, though I am passively looking to see if I can help my fiancée convert. Time and the Lord will tell. However, regardless of how that turns out, if/when I do live in Turkey, I want to remain an active member in the Ankara Branch and help in any way I can.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dies any one know who the current branch presidency is in ankara, is there someone in the branch presidency that speaks turkish? If so can I have his information?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Meant to say does

    ReplyDelete