Sunday, November 20, 2011

My Brothers' Keeper

I want to thank my family for everything, but particularly my five brothers.



I have grown up in a wonderful family where my parents equally raised and taught six sons about principles of the restored gospel, happiness and life lessons. I am grateful for them and the immense amount of love that they have shown equally to each of us. I am number four of six boys. No girls (my mom wanted a daughter, that's probably why there are six of us). There is a 14 year gap between the oldest and youngest.



My brothers and I have had many years together now and have definitely had our ups and downs while we were young but now things are always good, always supportive and looking out for each other. Not that we were bitter enemies or never appreciated each other, we just had I think the typical brotherly fights. I often was the last to jump in a dogpile and at the end always the one on the bottom. Growing up as number four of six boys has been a reward and blessing but I didn't see it that way. I loved my brothers but I never fully appreciated them and understood what it meant for me to be their brother and them to be my brother.



It was a few years ago while I was at the beginning of my BYU studies that I began to realize what is meant to truly love and appreciate my family, particularly my brothers which I didn't always get along with. It was during a time that one of my older brothers who was particularly having a tough time and I was in Utah while he was in California. I was thinking a lot about him and one Sunday during church we sang the song, "Lord, I would Follow Thee," a classic song in the LDS hymnbook. The song speaks of following the Lord by helping others. The last two versus' struck out to me that had never before.






I would be my brother's keeper;
I would learn the healer's art.
To the wounded and the weary
I would show a gentle heart.
I would be my brother's keeper-
Lord, I would follow thee.

Savior, may I love my brother
As I know thou lovest me,
Find in thee my strength, my beacon, 
For thy servant I would be.
Savior, may I love my brother-
Lord, I would follow thee

As I sang these versus I began to cry realizing that yes, this song was referring to all of God's children to as "my brother" but this was much more personal, I am actually my brothers' keeper. I am to help them and ask for help to love them just as my Savior loves me. My brothers, at that moment, became not people I just grew up with, that I just so happen to share the same parents with but that these were my brothers, my family that I am sealed to for all eternity. I instantly gained a greater sense of love for my brothers and it changed my perspective on eternity, family, and happiness.



I would like to mention a little bit about what I appreciate for each of them.

Brian: My oldest brother, the righteous example to all of us younger in the family. He is solid in the gospel and firm with his knowledge of his purpose in life. Great father and husband to his family and great support to me for whenever I have random questions. He is very well rounded and uses his talents to bless others. I will always be grateful for the eldest child in a family because of his example.

Eric: My second oldest brother, the example of integrity and always having fun while doing it. He is I guess you can say the comic relief, that taught us all to have comic relief even during the darkest time. Even though he may be a bit goofy, he takes his purpose and calling in life serious. His family means everything to him and  I appreciate that example of what they mean to him. I will always be appreciative of his joy in life. 

Keith: My third oldest brother, the brother right above me and probably the one I have mot memories of doing things with. He is particularly strong with the adversary, he shows what true faith means. His example of integrity and do whatever it takes to get it done always inspires me. His love for his family and those around him are respectable. I can't express how grateful I am for his kindness to me from as early as I can remember. He is always the one to include in all activities when I am home, even if it means late nights playing the Wii. 

Kyle: My first younger brother, the Man among men. He has a humble and reverent heart. Always knowing what right from wrong is and following what is right. He was a young boy that I have seen to turn into a wonderful, faithful young man. He doesn't know it, but I have always looked up to him. I am grateful for his expressed excitement to spend time with me and to be excited for me to come home. 

Matt: My youngest brother, the hardworking and missionary spirited young brother. I am so grateful for his amazing ability to keep life simple and full of his joys. I admire his love to read. He has turned into a wonderful young boy that had great love for others into sharing the love for others through his missionary efforts as of recently. He inspires me to do more than what I thought I couldn't do. 



All of my brothers have been examples of being a missionary, working hard, putting on the good fight when it is tough, loving their parents, loving their wives and family, being sealed in the temple, and many many other things. I am grateful for their love and I pray that I would be their keeper, that I may love them as the Savior loves me. I am grateful to call them each my brother and I hope to be my brothers' keeper as I follow my Savior in keeping his commandments and serving His children. 




1 comment:

  1. Of course, it is OUR privilege to be your brothers. Your dedication to serving the Lord is quite admirable and you certainly are an example to me. Love you and can't wait to see you this week.

    ReplyDelete